Here is some of the media coverage of MDS Pharma Services that has appeared recently in general business and trade media outlets. Wherever possible, we have provided links to the publication indicated.
Back to recent articles
- Next Generation Pharmaceutical (Dec. 10, 2007) included an interview with MDS Pharma Services President Dave Spaight, in which he discussed the power of electronic solutions and Web-based applications for expediting various aspects of clinical trials, as well as some of the regulatory gaps that must be overcome to minimize risk and move the trial along. Read the full article here
- Next Generation Pharmaceutical (Dec. 10, 2007) also ran an article about the MDS Pharma Services brand promise to deliver quality results on time.
- In December, numerous publications and Web sites, including The Globe and Mail, MSN Money, and TradingMarkets.com covered the year-end financial results for MDS Inc., noting that MDS Pharma Services delivered its fifth consecutive quarter of sequential improvement in profitability, with $5 million of adjusted EBITDA, up $12 million from a loss of $7 million in the prior year.
- In an article entitled "MDS Pharma Services breaks even in Q4," PharmaTimes (December 17, 2007) noted the progress our business unit has made on its "climb back to financial health in the fourth quarter of 2007."
- Outsourcing Pharma (12-19-07) reported that MDS Pharma Services is "continuing to move on from the trouble caused by a U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) review." They also mentioned the recent growth of our Central Lab operation in Beijing, China, and the upcoming expansion of our Phase I site in Phoenix, Arizona.
PharmaLive and Stockhouse Canada noted in November that MDS Pharma Services is now a major sponsor of the Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation and its work to fight childhood cancer. According to the U.S. National Institutes of Health, cancer is the second leading cause of childhood death after accidents in the United States.
The launch of MDS Pharma Servicesâ€™ new brand promise Â to deliver high-quality services on timeÂ made headlines in November in Pharmaceutical Online, Canada NewsWire, Calibre, PharmaLive and Canada Stockwatch, among others. Pharmaceutical Online quoted MDS Pharma Services President Dave Spaight: "We recognize the importance of high-quality on-time delivery for clients in every phase of the drug discovery and development process. Our employees are committed to this brand promise as part of our global strategy to support our clients' success."
In October, many news outlets covered the expansion of our Central Lab facility in Beijing, China, including Pharmaceutical Business Review, Contract Pharma, OutsourcingPharma, Pharmaceutical Online, European Pharmaceutical Review, Science Letter, Drug Week, Biotech Week in Review, Reuters and Biopharm Development News. With almost 25,000 square feet (2,322 square meters), this new, larger facility will help us meet the growing demands from pharmaceutical and biotech companies conducting clinical trials in China.
PharmaLive and Clinical Trials Today reported in October the appointment of leading board-certified cardiologist William S. Wheeler, M.D., FACC, as North American medical director for Centralized Cardiac Services at MDS Pharma Services.
- European Pharmaceutical Contractor published an article on biomarkers by MallÃ© Jurima-Romet, Fred Pritchard and Lena King of our Development & Regulatory Services group. "The Role of the CRO in Using Biomarkers for Pharmaceutical Development" appeared in the Autumn 2007 issue.
- European Biopharmaceutical Review published Suzanne Sensabaugh's "Driving Development: Using Biomarkers to Expedite Drug Development" in its Autumn 2007 issue.
- The Good Clinical Practice journal featured an article by Paul Hara of our Development & Regulatory Services group in its October 2007 issue. The piece was entitled, "The Role of Project Management in Drug Development."
- R&D Directions featured an interview with MDS Pharma Services President Dave Spaight in its September 2007 issue. The issue included a ranking of CROs by revenue and extensively quotes Dave Spaight and MDS Inc. CEO Stephen DeFalco. "I see MDS Pharma Services emerging as the industry leader in customer service,â€ Dave Spaight was quoted as saying. â€œThe transformation our business has undergone in the past year, in terms of leadership, process improvements and focused product offerings, has established a platform for profitable growth that will enhance our market leadership position and improve our top-10 CRO ranking"
- BioSpectrum Asia's September issue featured MDS Pharma Services President Dave Spaight in its article, "The CRO Power," which focused on the growth of the drug discovery business in the Asia-Pacific region. Read what Dave had to say about the future of the CRO industry on page 32 of the article.
- Outsourcing Pharma (9/11/2007) and Pharma Times (9/13/2007) were two of a number of news outlets that reported on the MDS Pharma Services' "signs of recovery," following the announcement of our third-quarter financial results. "It seems that the ghost of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) probe has stopped haunting MDS Pharma as the firm posted encouraging financial results in the third quarter," wrote Emilie Reymond of Outsourcing Pharma. Other outlets that picked up our results press release included In-PharmaTechnologist.com (9/11/2007), The Wall Street Journal Online (9/6/07) and SmartMoney.com (9/6/2007).
- Outsourcing Pharma (9/11/2007) was among the many outlets that picked up news of MDS Pharma Services' receiving the Good Clinical Practice journal (GCPj) Award for the clinical research program that best promotes access to new medicines. MDS Pharma Services received this award in September during a ceremony in London, where we were recognized for our successful management of a large-scale Phase III malaria drug trial involving more than 2,700 patients in Laos, India, Thailand, Burkina Faso, Kenya, Mozambique, Uganda and Zambia. Other outlets that reported the good news included The Wall Street Journal Online (9/7/2007), Yahoo! Finance (9/7/2007), ClinPage.com (9/20/2007), PharmaLive.com (9/7/2007), Biotech Business Week, Malaria Weekly, Pharma Business Week, Health & Medicine Week, Science Letter and Drug Week.
- The Good Clinical Practice journal's September 2007 issue features an article on quality assurance in Phase I Clinical Trials by Shane Comiskey, Quality Assurance manager at our Belfast, Northern Ireland, clinic. (Shane has since moved on from MDS Pharma Services.)